How to Process Your EEOICPA Claims

Government employee filling up form to get medical claimsMany people find it a difficult and long process to file an Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) claim. It is more difficult if you are the affected person and have no one to help or explain the process to you. Nuclear Care Partners provides you with the following brief details about what to expect, and what you can do to receive your EEOICPA compensation successfully.

Know the difference between Part B and Part E

Before you begin filing any claims, know which Part covers you and your loved ones. Here are two considerations:

1. Covered Employment: If you are a current or former worker of a facility that the department of energy covers, you are eligible for compensation. Part B includes Department of Energy contractors and subcontractors, designated beryllium vendors, atomic weapons employers, and Radiation Exposure Compensation Act Section 5 employees. But Part E only covers DOE contractors and subcontractors.

2. Compensable medical conditions: The illnesses the compensation will cover in Part B include beryllium sensitivity, chronic beryllium disease, chronic silicosis, cancer and all RECA Section 5 illness. Part E includes all diseases Part B covers, and any other disease you developed from radiation of chemical exposure at a DOE nuclear facility.

Filing requirements

It is important to remember that you can file a claim under either Part B or E or even both. As a nuclear industry worker, the DOE is responsible for any illness you develop while in your line of duty or after you leave the facility. So, once you file your claim, claim examiners at the Division of Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation will engage you and other relevant sources to assemble a case evidence that you are eligible for compensation and other benefits.

The claim examiners will then analyze these, after which they will supply you with a recommended decision that states whether or not they accept your EEOICPA claim for compensation and other benefits. If you are not comfortable with the decision they make, you have the right to appeal.

It's essential to know your right under this necessary act. Make that step to claim what you deserve.